Dinner at CPK in the mall Friday night
Monday, November 23, 2015
This past year is the year that I just came into myself, if that means anything. I've become a lot more confident with myself and my career. I went to three different meetings, and the last two were really phenomenal. The last one was a last minute one where my PI couldn't attend and I went instead. I decided, "Fuck it" and I talked to everyone at that meeting. I talked to the big folks, and I talked to the little folks. I gave a talk and I felt relaxed and excited, not nervous and intimidated. I went to workshops and asked questions. I met people for coffee. I just felt so much more comfortable in my own skin. I got a ton of community support and it makes me feel like I can actually pull off this whole academic job pursuit thing.
I guest lectured in a Dev Bio class at SFSU. It was awesome. I loved every minute of it. And I made a great friend/colleague in the process.
I submitted my first paper as a postdoc. It's currently under review.
Professionally, I feel good. Positive.
Personally, we got to visit CO and see my in laws, which was awesome. I've been able to go see my parents and they've come up here to help with D's birthday party. I had a 2 year old birthday party at my house! D keeps growing and being the most amazing kid. And I wish Alex would sometimes calm down and be less worried about our future, but I have to love how concerned he is about taking care of us. I do wish we had more date nights, but I think it's par for the course with a 2 year old. Altogether, I have to say I'm incredibly content. I'm happy with where I am. There are a number of things I still want to work on, but that's OK. That's what life is all about. And I can't wait to see where I go!
Happy Birthday to me!
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
- D counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 6
- D says, "Shall we?" a lot. As in., "Shall we play with toys, mama"
- D wakes up about 5:30am or 6am every morning and he calls for me. I get him, bring him into our bed, and we snuggle. Sometimes he goes back to sleep (like this morning) for another 2 hours.
- It has been very cold lately. As in, we wake up and it's about 50 degrees in our house. IN THE HOUSE. CA clearly has no idea how to build homes that actually hold in the heat.
- My birthday is on Monday.