Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Staying Stylish

Look, don't judge me. I'm 40. I'm allowed to read what I want, OK? Also, I've been traveling and job interviewing lately, so a mindless book on the Kindle is just about all I can handle.
Haha!
I downloaded Staying Stylish by Candace Cameron Bure (yes, that's DJ from Full House) for the discount price of $1.99 on the Kindle. I read it in less than a day. It turns out that Candace doesn't really have a lot to say in terms of staying stylish, so I thought I would run down what she tells you just in case you wanted to know.

  • Be true to your sense of style (seems obvious, no?)
  • Invest in pieces that are timeless so you will get lots of wear out of them
  • Try to find balance in your outfit (e.g. if shoulders bare, legs are covered; if shirt is loud, jewelry is muted, etc)
  • Try to get things tailored so they fit better
  • Try on lots of sizes and styles - don't limit yourself to just one
  • Invest in outerwear - it can make or break your outfit.
  • Organize your closet so you can easily pick out things that work together. 
  • When packing for a trip, roll your clothing up and choose one color palette and stick to it. 
  • She recommends skin care products that cost at least $200 so there's not a chance that's accessible to anyone
  • She tells you how she does her makeup
  • You should not be afraid to try different hairstyles or hair colors.
  • She tells you how she does her ponytail (I found this interesting...)
  • She tells you about her favorite foods and snacks
  • She gives you a fairly intense workout circuit
  • She tells you to pray and write in a journal, read,  practice gratitude, take time for yourself and spend time alone.
Honestly, this book was super simple and sort of interesting which is just what I wanted it to be when I downloaded it. I don't read a lot of fashion magazines because, honestly, they are not written for a 40 year old scientist mom. I don't shop a ton and I don't spend a lot of time on myself and it was nice to be reminded that maybe I should stop and spend some time on myself. Anyways, it was an interesting read if you're into this kind of thing. Plus, I really like CCB for reasons that I can't really articulate so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment