Sunday, January 20, 2013

Movie Review: Sleepwalk with Me


Sleepwalk with Me DVD CoverI'm not sure that I've ever discussed my love of podcasts on this blog. I love podcasts, especially good ones. And "This American Life" is definitely one of those really amazing and wonderful podcasts. I listen to it nearly weekly, and I bought the app that allows me to listen to past shows as well. I could listen to this podcast forever. Anyways, one of the contributors to "This American Life" is Mike Birbiglia. His story from the Moth about sleepwalking made me absolutely lose my mind in laughter. If you haven't heard it, please, for the love of god, listen to it here. You will die laughing. I literally had to stop working when I listened to it, I was laughing so hard. And then I had to listen to it again. So, this movie is about Mike Birbiglia and his sleep disorder. This movie is literally his stories brought to life. In the movie, Mike is "Matt", a struggling stand up comedian based in Brooklyn. He shows a slice of his (true) life that started with him living with his girlfriend, Abby (played by the lovely Lauren Ambrose), and starting to get some serious sleepwalking problems. The movie follows his struggles with sleepwalking, his relationships with his family and his girlfriend, and how he got to where he is now. This movie is both hysterical and heartwarming, showing a glimpse of a real American family, and the life of a struggling comedian. I loved this film and I am so looking forward to all the other things that he might do. If you have not seen this movie, it's streaming on Netflix, and I'm sure its available on DVD as well. It's not too short, it's not too long. It's a lovely and brilliant take on his stories, and if there were more movies out there like this one, I would watch them in a heartbeat. And I fully agree with Judd Apatow's observation, "I could have watched it for ten hours".

1 comment:

  1. Brad bought his book for my dad and dad LOL'd all over the place too.

    ReplyDelete