Thursday, February 21, 2013

Things I miss about Philly

  • Wood floors
  • Seasons
  • The terms "Yo!", "Wooder", "Iggles", "Vurrry", and "Burrrry".
  • Proximity to other cities
  • Row houses
  • Interesting architecture
  • Being 3 hours ahead
  • Walk-ability
  • People watching
  • Our dance studio
  • Friends
  • Backyard
  • Front stoop sitting
  • Bars and restaurants with cheap food and beer within walking or biking distance
  • The running path on the Schuykill
  • Boathouse Row
  • The city profile
  • Independence Hall
  • Cobblestone streets
  • Walking
  • Basements
  • The Phillies
  • The Art Museum
  • Our little street in our little neighborhood
Things I don't miss about Philly
  • Gray skies
  • The ice
  • The day after the snow
  • The bus
  • The trash
  • The traffic
  • My job
  • My work facilites
  • Au Bon Pain
  • The potholes
  • The lack of bike lanes
  • The honking
  • The yelling at bikers
  • Trader Joe's on a Sunday afternoon
  • How far away I was from my family
  • The fact that most of my friends had left the city
  • The airport
Things I love about where I am now
  • I can go home to see my folks anytime I want
  • The sun is out a lot
  • Spring is already here
  • Bike lanes are everywhere
  • I see hawks every day
  • There are furry cows on green hills on my drive to work every morning
  • I have access to lots of cool stuff at Stanford
  • People are genuinely nice and want me to succeed
  • I work with really nice people
  • I genuinely enjoy my work
  • My boss is super cool
  • There are mountains, there is ocean
  • We have some good friends not too far away
  • We are trying to make more friends
  • Our benefits are super nice and good
  • We are surrounded by technology and a "can do" attitude
  • Everything is super NICE
  • There is no trash
  • Recycling and composting is everywhere
  • I have access to the gym for free
  • Showers are close by my lab
  • I have tons of resources to do some crazy ass experiments
  • Everything in the lab is the best quality
  • We have two cars
  • I have a new bike

Things I could do without where I am now
  • The cost of living
  • Suburbia
  • Our crappy apartment
  • The lights that are constantly out at our apartment
  • The fact that we can't have a BBQ on our balcony
  • My neighbor who snores
  • My neighbor who must run everywhere
  • No insulation in the apartment
  • The fact that housing is so tight, and the cost is so high, we will probably never be able to own in this area (barring a lottery win, I suppose)

No comments:

Post a Comment